Quotes of Significance.
1.”WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH” Page 87. This quote is significant because it is the Party’s three slogans. The slogans make the people of Oceania see that to be at peace, they have to be in war. If they were free that would be a horrible form of slavery. Also, that if you are ignorant you are strong.
2.”Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?…”- Syme to Winston. Page-46; This quote is significant because it shows the true point of Newspeak. I believe everyone feels the same way as Syme, but no one is willing to say it out loud.
3. “One of these days, thought Winston with sudden deep conviction, Syme will be vaporized. He is too intelligent. He sees too clearly and speaks too plainly. The Party does not like such people. One day he will disappear. It is written in his face.” Page 47. This quote is significant in several ways. It shows that Winston really sees why people are vaporized, it shows that Winston understands what is right and wrong according to the party, and it shows how Winston feels about Syme.
4.”I understand HOW: I do not understand WHY.” Page 68. I think this quote is very significant. It shows us that Winston really just does not understand why the Party would need to falsify the past. Of course he knows how, because he does it, he just does not understand why.
5. “Winston had dropped his habit of drinking gin at all hours. He seemed to have lost the need for it. He had grown fatter his varicose ulcer had subsided, leaving only a brown stain on the skin above his ankle, his fits of coughing had ceased to be intolerable, he had no long any impulse to make faces at the telescreen or shout curses at the top of his voice.” Page 124 This quote shows that now that Winston has love in his life, and happiness in his life, the hardships do not matter. With love came a loss for all things that made him ache with hatred, his ulcer, his skinny, varicose veined body, the telescreens, everything. Because, with love, nothing else matters.
6. “You are a flaw in the pattern, Winston. You are a stain that must be wiped out.” Page 210 This quote shows how Winston does not fit in with society, how he defies he, how he is therefore different, and people in Eurasia cannot be different, and so Winston is not allowed to be different.
7. “Does the Brotherhood even exist?” Page 214 This quote shows that Winston is questioning the Brotherhood, he is realizing that the things that the Brotherhood has been telling him may not be true, and that it might not even exist.
8.“He accepted everything. The past was alterable. The past never had been alterable.” Page 228 This quote shows Winston giving into the society that the Brotherhood had made. He accepted that he might have known that the past had been changed before, but now he thinks that it was not altered. It’s almost like the “if you can’t beat them, join them” saying.
9. “At the apex of the pyramid comes Big Brother. Big Brother is infallible and all-powerful” Page 170 This quote shows how powerful Big Brother is in the Oceania society. Big Brother is above all.
10. “He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother” Page 245 This quote is important, not only because it is the last sentences in the book, but it is also important because it shows Winston’s change. We knew Winston as defiant against Big Brother. This quote shows that he is a different Winston then we knew throughout most of the book.